The purpose of the workshop on Programming weather, climate and earth system models on heterogeneous multi-core platforms is to provide a forum for open discussion to better understand the programming models and strategies that will be needed for the new generation of weather, climate, and earth-system models on heterogeneous multi-core platforms. The workshop is by invitation only and the format is designed to allow the participants to present and discuss their most recent findings in an informal open format. The workshop primary goals are:
- Provide a forum to present experiences and lessons learned from porting and tuning weather and climate models on these platforms.
- Create a community of developers that can work together to develop the software standards needed for these platforms.
- Exchange information about programming techniques, code parallelization and optimization and I/O strategies on these platforms.
- Provide input to standards committees on what the community would like to see in programming models for weather/climate applications.
Location and Time
The workshop is to be hosted by the National Center for Atmospheric Research and held in the Main Seminar Room at the Mesa Lab, Boulder, Colorado. The dates for the workshop are September 19-20, 2013.
Agenda & Registration
The workshop is by invitation only and registration for the workshop is limited to thirty-five participants. We propose to have the following technical sessions:
- Heterogeneous Multi-Core Hardware: Common features and challenges of utilizing current and future platforms.
- Applications Frameworks: How these enable or hinder the use of hetrogeneous multi-core platforms.
- Compilers and Programming Models: Describe the programming environments, languages, and architectural features.
- Programming Approaches: Describe the programming approaches implemented for dynamical cores and physics packages.
- Communication Issues: What communication features are needed to provide functionality and performance?
- Programming Tools: Experiences using programming, debugging and performance analysis tools.
If are planning to present at the workshop, please indicate in your submission which session you you like to present at. Participants wishing to attend the meeting can register at:
The cut-off date for participants wishing to present at the workshop is August 8, 2011. To allow for as much informal exchange as possible, presentations will be limited to 15 minutes. The cut-off date for the workshop registration is August 25, 2011.
A block of rooms have been reserved at the Courtyard Boulder, 4710 Pearl East Circle, Boulder, CO 80301 (800-228-9290). The rooms have been reserved at a rate of $139 per night plus tax and the rate is available for the evenings of September 18 through September 20, 2013. To obtain the group rate, please contact the hotel before August 20, 2013. The rooms have been reserved under the name "Multi-Core Workshop".
Past Workshop Information
For the agenda and presentations from the 2012 Multi-Core Workshop, click here.
For the agenda and presentations from the 2011 Multi-Core Workshop, click here.